Although it is difficult to get car insurance without a driver’s license, it is possible. You’ve probably encountered one of these situations if you’re reading this article.

  • You are taking a break from driving, but you want to avoid a lapse of coverage. This will lead to higher rates from insurance companies when you return to driving.

  • An adult with a learner’s permit who owns a car. In order to insure your vehicle, you must be on your own.

  • Your driver’s license was suspended. Car insurance may be required to restore your license, or to continue coverage for a vehicle that you lease or finance.

  • If you are unable or unwilling to drive your own vehicle, you will still need insurance.

  • You car is parked or stored. In case your car is stolen or damaged by a tree, you might want to have coverage.

  • While you don’t have to drive, someone younger than 18 is allowed to. This can be avoided by purchasing insurance and adding them to your policy.

These are some of the ways you can insure your car without a driver’s licence.

Get in touch with local companies

You will need to look at smaller, regional companies if you are looking to insure your car without a driver’s license. These companies are best contacted over the phone or in person to discuss your situation and receive a more precise quote.

You don’t have to call each company individually, so consider hiring an independent agent or insurance broker. Independent agents and brokers work with many insurers so they can find the right policy for you.

Because many national insurance companies do not offer quotes to unlicensed drivers, it is unlikely that you will be able to get coverage from larger brands. To check your driving record, they will need your driver’s license number. If you want to get a quote, it’s likely that you will need to call someone.

Note: Insurance companies will likely consider you a high-risk driver if you are an unlicensed driver. This is especially true if you have a DUI or other serious traffic offense on your record. Expect to pay higher premiums.

What if an SR-22 form is required?

An insurer may be required to file an SR-22 with your state if you have been charged with a series of traffic violations or serious traffic offenses. If this happens, you will be notified by the court and your state. This form, also known as a certificate of financial liability, is proof that you have at least the minimum liability insurance required by your state. You may need to file a FR-44 form if you reside in Virginia or Florida. This forms proves that you have higher liability limits than the minimums.

You may not be able to get auto insurance without a license, so you will need to file an SR-22 form or FR-44 form.

Have someone else be the primary driver

You can insure a vehicle on the road but not you, but you will need to designate another driver on your policy.

The primary driver is the person who drives your car most often. Anyone can be designated as the primary driver as long as they possess a valid driver’s license.

You will be required by your insurance company to remove yourself from the policy as a driver until you are licensed. Even if you have insurance, if an accident occurs, you will be responsible for all damages and any legal consequences.

The driving record, age, and other personal information of any drivers on your auto insurance policy will impact the rates. You can expect to pay more for car insurance if your primary driver, a teenager, has poor driving records or is not a good driver. For more information on the factors that affect rates, see NerdWallet’s Why is my Car Insurance so High?


Add any other driver to your policy. Other non-primary drivers who use your car regularly are called “occasional drivers”. Regardless of whether your spouse or partner is licensed, they will need to be added to the policy. If you are unsure, consult your insurance.

Get parked car insurance

You don’t need a license if you own a car, but you do have comprehensive-only insurance. This is also known as “car storage insurance” or “parked car insurance”. Comprehensive-only insurance covers you for damage caused by events beyond your control. You won’t be covered for driving-related injuries.

Parked car insurance is a good choice if you don’t plan to drive for long periods of time and want to avoid coverage lapses. The policy is cheaper than full coverage car insurance because you only pay for the comprehensive insurance.

Please note: In order to qualify for parked car coverage, some companies may ask that your car be stored for a specified time (commonly 30 day).